The Association is formed for the purpose of encouraging yachting and yacht racing in Narragansett Bay and adjacent waters and to frame and unify the rules governing yacht racing to conform, insofar as practicable, with the rules of the United States Sailing Association. The Association shall act in advisory capacity when so requested by its member clubs and associations and shall render such other services in the interest of yachting and yacht racing as may come within its authority and jurisdiction. It shall maintain membership in the United States Sailing Association.
NBYA will fulfill the responsibilities as a Regional Sailing Association for US Sailing by providing leadership, structure, and coordination of sailboat racing activities throughout Narragansett Bay and adjacent waters
- NBYA will actively foster communication with grass-roots sailors and bridge communications between the local clubs to regional and national sailing authority, US Sailing.
- NBYA will be the conduit for disseminating information from US Sailing to the NBYA membership.
- NBYA will be fiscally and administratively responsible for maintaining junior and adult programs to encourage active sailing participation in our region.
- NBYA will fulfill the responsibilities as a Regional Sailing Association for US Sailing by providing leadership, structure, and coordination of sailboat racing activities throughout Narragansett Bay and adjacent waters.
- NBYA as the RSA, providing the Appeals Committee as necessary to support appeal procedures outlined by the national sailing authority, US Sailing.
- NBYA, as a service center, is a resource to all sailing associations in our region for the preparation for and administration of sailing events.
- NBYA sponsors and administers the NBYA Junior Championship.
- Junior Regattas – 9 one day regattas facilitated and supported by NBYA for junior sailors in Optimists, Laser Radials/Bytes and Club 420s,
- Junior Race Week / Junior Olympic Festival – three day signature regional event.
Clinics and Seminars for member clubs
- NBYA sponsors seminars on the new Racing Rules of Sailing. Nationally known US Sailing judges present a comprehensive update on the latest rules changes
- NBYA sponsors a clinic at the Junior Women’s Championships, and a Coaches clinic annually.
Sailing Community Outreach & Member / Club Support
- NBYA integrated web calendar that all clubs may use to post their events including Regattas, Training and Social Events
- NBYA has online registration. Members may join or renew their membership and sign up for NBYA sponsored regattas.
- NBYA offers member clubs the ability to use online registration /payment for their regattas and associated events (e.g. Regatta party tickets and merchandise
- NBYA Appeals Committee hears all protest appeals for all member clubs
- NBYA provides the network for member clubs to find Race Committee Officers and Judges for their events
- NBYA offers US Sailing dues discount through the MVP Program – available online
- NBYA provides travel grants to the National Conference and Leadership Forum.
- NBYA provides scholarships and financial support to members representing NBYA member clubs in US Sailing organized ladder competitions.
Organizing & Promoting Regattas
- NBYA sponsors multiple PHRF regattas including a two day event complete with an evening social.
- NBYA sponsors Swanson Cup / Narragansett Bay Challenge Cup races in September that pit 3 boat teams from member yacht clubs to determine bay champions in both spinnaker and cruising classes.
- NBYA is Organizing authority for GMT Boat of the Year series – recognizes the best sailboat that regularly competes in Narragansett Bay regattas