Since 2004, GMT Composites has sponsored the NBYA Boat of the Year Trophy. Please go to www.gmtcomposites.com for more information about their company.
2013 Boat of the Year
All members of NBYA are automatically entered into the 2013 GMT Boat of the year series. (Note, to count you must be a member of NBYA prior to the start of a race.) Notify NBYA the day before the start of any race that you do not want included in your BOTY score.
|Saturday, June 08, 2013||Leukemia Cup||New York Yacht Club|
|Wednesday, June 19, 2013||NBYA Super Wednesday||EGYC|
|Saturday, June 22, 2013||Around Aquidneck Island||Twenty Hundred Club|
|Saturday, July 13, 2013||East Greenwich Annual Regatta||EGYC|
|Tuesday, July 23, 2013||NBYA Super Tuesday||NBYA / Barrington YC|
|Thursday, August 8, 2013||NBYA Super Thursday||NBYA/ RIYC|
|Thursday, August 11, 2013||MOHOSA||Mount Hope Bay|
|Saturday, September 1, 2013||Conanicut Around Island Race||Conanicut Yacht Club|
|Saturday, September 7, 2013||NBYA Champion of Champions||NBYA/Newport YC|
|Sunday, September 14, 2013||Hospice Regatta||Herrishoff|
|Saturday, September 21, 2013||Around Prudence Island||Twenty Hundred|
|Saturday, October 12, 2013||Sail for Hope||Sail Newport|
2012 Boat of the Year
Congratulations to Chip Hawkins in CANEEL for his fifth win in the GMT Boat of the year competition!
Photo courtesy of Rob Migliaccio
This year there was no question about Chip Hawkins’ win in the 2012 GMT Boat of the Year competition. CANEEL took a first in every event with the exception of thirds in the hotly contested Hospice and Bud Humphrey regattas. Both regattas had in excess of 20 boats in the field with some of the best sailors on the bay participating. Congratulations Chip and crew for a great year!
- 2011 – Caneel, Chip Hawkins
- 2010 – Caneel, Chip Hawkins
- 2009 – Rigadoon, Bill & Doug Riggs
- 2008 - Caneel, Chip Hawkins
- 2007 - Caneel, Chip Hawkins
- 2006 - Rumours, Woodhouse, Kehew and Nanni
- 2005 - Wazimo, Bob Manchester
- 2004 - Wazimo, Barret Holby
Trophy Deed of Gift
1. The name of the trophy shall be The Narragansett Bay Boat of The Year Trophy.
2. The trophy has been provided by GMT Composites, 48 Ballou Blvd, Bristol, RI 02809 to Narragansett Bay Yachting Association. GMT retains ownership of the trophy. GMT will bear the costs of updating the trophy each year. Trophy reverts to GMT if NBYA can no longer award the trophy under the terms of this deed.
3. The trophy shall be awarded to the owner of the boat on Narragansett Bay that has the achieved the best overall performance for the season. NBYA shall define and publish the criteria that will be used to choose the winner.
4. The trophy will be given to the winner in the Fall. It is the winner’s responsibility to return the trophy to GMT Composites in good condition by the end of the following September. The trophy must be displayed at the winner’s yacht club from July 1 through September 15. The winner may display the trophy as they choose during the rest of the year.